NATIONAL NEWS
Nigeria Reveals That 18 Of Deported Passengers From Saudi Arabia Hold Criminal Records
The Nigerian government has revealed that 18 of the 177 passengers who were turned back by Saudi authorities on landing in Jeddah were outrightly banned from Saudi Arabia for various offenses committed in the past.
The government however said the reason for withdrawing the visa from the 159 others was yet unknown.
The latest revelation was contained in a signed statement on Tuesday by the spokesperson of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Mrs Francisca Omayuli.
The statement read: “The attention of the Federal Government has been drawn to media reports on the cancellation of the visas and subsequent deportation of passengers airlifted from Nigeria on Sunday, 12th November 2023 to Saudi Arabia.
“According to reports received from the Nigerian Consulate in Jeddah, Air Peace Flight No. P4-752 airlifted two hundred and sixty-four (264) passengers from the Murtala Mohammed International Airport in Lagos and the Aminu Kano International Airport and landed at the King Abdulaziz International Airport – Hajj Terminal Jeddah, Saudi Arabia on Monday, 13th November 2023.
“It was on arrival at the Hajj Terminal that the Saudi Immigration authorities informed the passengers that their visas had been cancelled. Consequently, one hundred and seventy-seven (177) passengers were made to return on the same flight back to Nigeria. While eighty-seven (87) passengers were cleared by immigration and allowed entry into Jeddah.
“The Saudi authorities are yet to give reasons for the cancellation of the visas, except for eighteen (18) of the passengers who were outrightly banned from Saudi Arabia for various offenses committed in the past.
“Even though it is the prerogative of a sovereign nation to determine who is permitted entry into its territory, Nigeria and the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia are traditional and strategic partners, who are willing to guard against a reoccurrence of this unfortunate incident. In this regard, the investigation is ongoing in both Nigeria and Saudi Arabia. The affected passengers are, therefore, implored to keep calm, while the matter is being resolved.”
-
CRIME3 years ago
PSC Dismisses DCP Abba Kyari, To Be Prosecuted Over Alleged $1.1m Fraud
-
FEATURED3 years ago
2022 Will Brighten Possibility Of Osinbajo Presidency, Says TPP
-
FEATURED2 years ago
Buhari’s Ministers, CEOs Should Be Held Accountable Along With Emefiele, Says Timi Frank
-
BUSINESS & ECONOMY1 year ago
Oyedemi Reigns As 2023’s Real Estate Humanitarian Of The Year
-
SPORTS1 year ago
BREAKING: Jürgen Klopp Quits Liverpool As Manager At End Of Season
-
SPORTS2 years ago
Could Liverpool Afford Kylian Mbappe For €200 million? Wages, Transfer Fee
-
ENTERTAINMENT2 years ago
Veteran Nigerian Musician, Basil Akalonu Dies At 72
-
FEATURED2 years ago
Tribunal Judgement: Peter Obi Warns Of Vanishing Electoral Jurisprudence, Heads To Supreme Court
-
BUSINESS & ECONOMY2 years ago
Oyedemi Bags ‘Next Bulls Award’ As BusinessDay Celebrates Top 25 CEOs/ Business Leaders
-
FEATURED3 years ago
2023 Presidency: South East PDP Aspirants Unite, Demand Party Ticket For Zone