NATIONAL NEWS
Boko Haram: Zulum Tells COAS The Worst Is Over, Despite Recent Attacks
Despite acknowledging a recent surge in Boko Haram attacks, Borno State Governor Professor Babagana Zulum declared that the worst stage of the terrorist group’s siege is over.
Zulum made the statement on Wednesday during a meeting with the Chief of Army Staff (COAS), Lieutenant General Shuaibu Waidi, in Maiduguri, the Borno State capital.
Explaining his assessment, Zulum reflected on the more dire security situation the state had previously endured. He stated that compared to the peak of the crisis years ago, the current security landscape, despite recent setbacks, shows significant improvement.
Zulum also called on the people of Borno State to continue offering their support and cooperation to the military and other security agencies in the ongoing war against insurgency.
He insisted that the fight against terrorism requires a collective effort and urged residents to be vigilant, providing timely intelligence to security operatives to prevent attacks and ensure a lasting return to peace in the state.
He stated: “Yes, we have witnessed a series of attacks on our communities and the security forces, but the worst is over. We shall continue to collaborate and provide the needed intelligence to our security forces to bring this madness to an end.”
He added, “The frequency and scale of attacks on our communities then were overwhelming. Today, while we grieve any single setback, we can also see that the worst is indeed behind us. The trajectory is towards peace, and we are committed to sustaining it.”
The governor commiserated with the Nigerian Army over recent tactical setbacks in the theatre, while also praising the sacrifice and bravery of the officers and soldiers, describing them as heroes who, in some cases, pay the ultimate price for the nation’s security.
“On behalf of the government and people of Borno State, I wish to reiterate that we stand with the officers and soldiers of the Nigerian Armed Forces. We will not take their sacrifice for granted,” he said.
In response, the Chief of Army Staff, Lt. Gen. Shuaibu Waidi, assured Governor Zulum of the Army headquarters’ commitment to providing necessary logistics to the troops and commended the governor for his support to the armed forces.
“I want to most sincerely, on behalf of the officers and men of the Nigerian Army, extend our appreciation to His Excellency for visiting us at a time like this. We appreciate your support in Borno,” he said.
He added, “We have confidence in our forces here in the theatre, and from the Army headquarters, we will provide all the necessary resources needed to ensure they achieve their mission.”
The meeting was attended by the Acting Chief of Staff, Dr. Babagana Mustapha Mallumbe, Commissioner of Information and Internal Security, Professor Usman Tar, Special Adviser on Security, Brigadier General Abdullaho Ishaq (Rtd), and other senior government officials.
These edits aim to make the article more polished, professional, and easier to read while maintaining accuracy and the original meaning. Always double-check factual details, especially the year the bill was signed.
-
CRIME4 years ago
PSC Dismisses DCP Abba Kyari, To Be Prosecuted Over Alleged $1.1m Fraud
-
FEATURED4 years ago
2022 Will Brighten Possibility Of Osinbajo Presidency, Says TPP
-
FEATURED2 years ago
Buhari’s Ministers, CEOs Should Be Held Accountable Along With Emefiele, Says Timi Frank
-
BUSINESS & ECONOMY2 years ago
Oyedemi Reigns As 2023’s Real Estate Humanitarian Of The Year
-
SPORTS2 years ago
BREAKING: Jürgen Klopp Quits Liverpool As Manager At End Of Season
-
SPORTS2 years ago
Could Liverpool Afford Kylian Mbappe For €200 million? Wages, Transfer Fee
-
ENTERTAINMENT2 years ago
Veteran Nigerian Musician, Basil Akalonu Dies At 72
-
FEATURED2 years ago
Tribunal Judgement: Peter Obi Warns Of Vanishing Electoral Jurisprudence, Heads To Supreme Court
-
BUSINESS & ECONOMY2 years ago
Oyedemi Bags ‘Next Bulls Award’ As BusinessDay Celebrates Top 25 CEOs/ Business Leaders
-
FEATURED4 years ago
2023 Presidency: South East PDP Aspirants Unite, Demand Party Ticket For Zone


